The first and most important step towards fighting addiction is acceptance. Unless a person accepts he/she has a serious problem, they cannot be helped. Seeking help during the addiction phase is extremely difficult. People addicted to substances such as heroin, cocaine, alcohol and other abusive substances tend to become withdrawn from society. They will be unable to function normally and perform the basic activities required by the society as a whole.
Some Hard Facts about Addiction:
- It is a sad fact but 1 out of 8 American has some kind of addiction. These figures are only for the known cases and there might be more for some unknown cases. The most common type of addiction is alcohol/drug.
- Rate of addiction is on rise and the people who are living with some kind of addiction have increased over a period of two years. Surprisingly youngsters in the age group of 18-21 have admitted taking drugs
- 30 percent of high school students admit smoking marijuana. Good news is that overall use of illegal drugs has decreased.
- Approximately 15 percent of children under the age of 18 have admitted using illegal drugs.
- An alarming fact is that abuse of prescribed drug is on rise.
- 70 percent of people that use illegal drugs are employed. This is an increasing problem for employers due to lack of productivity and absenteeism.
- Most drug addicts go to any extent like stealing money or become involved in crimes due to drug addiction.
- Crimes are mostly done under the influence of alcohol/drugs
- ¼ of hospital admissions are related to drugs
- In United States alone 30 million people are facing issues due to alcohol and drug addiction. This has posed to be a serious problem which has affected modern way of life.